Wednesday, October 19, 2011

OH NOOOOO I SCRATCHED A FRAME!

Mistakes! We all make them, I don't like to and I am really hard on myself when it happens. Recently, in our shop, we were all having bad days! Custom framing means hands on, human hands, capable of making mistakes! So, how do you handle "Murphy's Law"? I have a new approach to framing mistakes that I would like to share with you:

1. Forgive oneself immediately!
2. Recognize what you did and assess the damage.
3. Verbalize it to the team, don't hide it.
4. Communicate with one another to find the best solution.
5. Learn from it, don't get hung up on it.

Communication is important. Everyone is sorry when mistakes are made, move on from there and focus on the reality of the situation. Is this going to make the project late or lend any hassle or stress to the customer? How can this mistake be fixed? The answer depends on the mistake, i.e. If a frame is ruined.... replace it as fast as possible. If the project is going to be late and an inconvenience to the customer........deliver it. If the picture is already in their home...... go get it, fix it and take it back. Customers will appreciate it more when you admit you erred, and you show that you are willing to do whatever it takes to correct and deliver their order in a timely fashion.

The mistake is not about why it happened as much as it is about fixing the error in the best manner possible! My new motto is: It is just paper and wood, yes it costs to replace it, the cost is never more than the loss of a loyal customer!

No comments:

Post a Comment