I’m a custom framer. I’ve been framing for about 17 years and I must say that I’m pretty darn good at it. I do all the right things like attending continuing education classes, I passed a certification test(CPF); I attend trade shows, read industry publications, and blah, blah, blah. But the bottom line is…I’m the expert and if you want something custom framed, you should take it to an expert. That’s my philosophy and I’m sticking to it.
I don’t call a plumber to fix my computer and more importantly, I don’t try to fix it myself, because I don’t know the first thing about fixing a computer (or a toilet for that matter). What makes a person an expert? Well, for one thing, and expert has all the right tools for the job. A plumber might have wrenches, snakes (not the reptile kind silly) and a whole slew of other tools that I don’t even know about. They have these tools so that they can get the job done efficiently and do it correctly.
I have the right tools to do my job too. I have a mat cutter (computerized at that), a miter saw, a miter sander, a glasscutter and all kinds of pneumatic tools. I can stretch a canvas, cut and join a frame, mount a print, cut glass and I do it all precisely and efficiently. I’ve seen my share of framed items that make me cringe. There is usually an assortment of duct tape, window glass and various tacks and screws that hold the string on the back for hanging…. it’s not a pretty sight people.
Bottom-line…it you want it done right, please trust the experts. You’ll be happier with the outcome.
No comments:
Post a Comment